Friday, 19 October 2012

Development - Sound, props and sketchbooks



Since my last post I have finished my film and had my critique in class it was on the 9/10/12 and have been mostly resting and reviewing what else I need to do for the project. I still have to annotate my sketchbooks somemore and do some finishing up blog posts and upload my finished film. But that will be the next things to do and I'll try to get that sorted before we start our new project next week.

I'm still unsure if to create a space and have a projection of my film somewhere in the university as I'm still waiting on feedback from my Leacturer incase I need to make any changes.

But I'll touch on some things I've been doing and parts of the project I've not explained fully or propperly so much yet.


Sound


(Audacity screen shot of my work)

Doing sound for the project I created my own sound by flicking book pages and using ambiance of indoors and myself walking for the first parts of my film.

For creating the sounds of inside the book I collected lots of sound samples from free sources and then edit them and put them together using Audacity. It's been very interesting and rewarding using sound it does completely change a mood to a piece or what you want to potray. From the collected sounds I made places that were'nt real become real with just adding the imagery of my film and the sound together.

 (Some of the sounds collected)

Would play my film on slightly lower quality on my laptop (cause laptop wasnt strong enough for the film) and then would have audacity open next to it and count the seconds in which would correspond to where I wanted the sound to come in. This way I had the tracks ready made and imported the files lastly into my film with Final Cut Pro. With some slight editing was all that was needed by cutting and some fades and overlapping.


I created atmospheres for each 'realm' that when my character enters the book and when they travel to each story/fairytale/genre and made general sound clips and imagery that I wanted the viewer to be able to relate to. Sound clips where created for a happy fairy like forest world and sounds where created for a midevil town being attacked by a dragon and then finally a haunted castle that is suspose to be quite scary.


Felt that sound made for the film added a lot to telling the story and creating the experience of a reader/viewer interacting with a fairytale. That it transformed the mood of each 'place' very well and its just what it needed since their is lot of transition from place to place.

Props

For the film I ended up using quite a few props to also give each 'realm' that little extra touch of showing my character becoming different personas and representations of each place. This was to potray the idea that of how stories and fairytales when we read books we can relate or find ourselves so imersed in what were imagining we are in these places and that our senses can be effected by our imaginations. 

 

These were the books I made to experiment with media and also was miniture versions of what the final piece was in mind from the start. The book with the door ended up becoming the key image and its used to represent the entrance to the other world and I used some stop motion animation overlay for the film of it.

 (Princess tiara and fairy wand ha ha)
 This was for the fiary realm and I changed my clothes to also add to the mood and transition for the finished film.



This was armor I made as a prop for the 'adventure realm' part of my film its made quite rough but its because it made from a dominos pizza box and taped together. It also has pages stuck of some of the books I've had to destroy to create work for the film which is a subtle touch of the juxtaposition of the reader and then inside the book.

 (Sword and sheild and then the mini dragons I got for as part of the Midevil town. The dragon was used as a slight stop motion and overlay.)

 (Really ugly bat toy and spider web table cloth)

I used these props as overlays for the final part of the film which was a haunted castle their was slight stop motion and overlay of the bat. I did quite a few stop motion experiments but the bat prop ended becoming the best one to use in the end. This part of the film required me changing into a sort of victorian outfit which also represents how books can be in any time or place be it real or not.
 
I felt that with the power of sound, my background illustrations, props and costume changes with some slight acting that I was able to potray this idea effectively. 

(all props apart from the cardboard sheild and books were courtesy of poundland ha ha)

Sketchbooks

Sketchbooks have been coming on slowly but surely been adding bits and bobs over time to them especially my development sketchbook. I've been adding on the other artists and tecnhniques that researched more recently and looked into.



Showing the progression in stages and media experiments of the book and how I got to the finished result and how it all added to each other to create the film.




They still need annotation and some more adding to finish them up but then they should be ready for assessment and I'll have my film uploaded shortly as well. Till then hopefully feedback will have been sent out by then to see if theirs any more work to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment